Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Mush Part Duex

Martha's Perfect Pancakes


Ingredients
Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
OR 3 tablespoons Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Flour
2 to 3 tablespoons sugar


It is the Sunday after Christmas. My son (13) is packing to go to Boy Scout Winter Camp. I have a huge tub I am loading with hand warmer thingies, his lantern, leftover Christmas cookies, Chex mix, etc. And think...I'll make him his favorite breakfast...blueberry pancakes.

So I pull out the old Aunt Jemima all you do is add water box and it is almost empty. Undetered (he is leaving to sleep in a tent in the dead of winter after all) I pull out my Martha White cookbook (my husband says that should have been the first clue to abort this mission). How hard can it be?

So I am making the pancake batter from scratch and after pouring some on the griddle, remember the blueberries. There is no time to puree them, so I sprinkle some on the batter. These pancakes now look like they have the mumps. My son said they looked like the surface of the moon.

So my husband purees blueberries for the next batch and unfortunately, the berry-to-mix ratio was way off...the batter wouldn't even stick together! So I am using my spatula to scrape off the blue steaming mush and my son says...maybe the food will be better at camp!

Below is the recipe for Martha White made-from-scratch pancake batter.


Preparation Directions
1. HEAT griddle or large skillet to medium-high heat (375°F). Spray lightly with no-stick cooking spray.*
2. BEAT eggs in medium bowl. Add milk and melted butter; mix well. Add all remaining ingredients; stir just until large lumps disappear.
3. POUR about 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto hot griddle. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbles begin to break on surface. Turn; cook 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown.
TIP *Griddle is ready when small drops of water sizzle and disappear almost immediately. Pancakes will stick if griddle is too cool.

Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 3 min
Serving size: 12 pancakes

No comments:

Post a Comment