Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The death of my arch nemesis

My husband and I have been married for almost 15 years. During that time, we have had 2 children, 5 dogs, 2 cats, multiple fish and hamsters, several parties, lots of family events with other smallish children and never once did anything bad happen to the Lay-Z-Boy...aka my arch nemesis. No juice stains. No bodily fluids that would have rendered the chair unusable. No puppy chewing or cat clawing. Not even the hamster would cooperate. When it got loose, it found its way into my chair, followed a few seconds later by one of the cats which resulted in patching and sewing and placing the chair close to a wall so that the injuries can't be seen.

So short of a house fire, I had given up hope that the chair would go and had resigned myself to looking for a coffin that would accomodate both my husband and his chair (with the footrest extended of course)

And then it happened. He sat down in it Saturday and there was a terrible noise. Like the sound you would hear from one of those animal planet shows where a cheetah has captured some 4-legged creature. I realized the sound was coming from him. The bottom of the chair had lost/broken a spring. The impossible had happened.

I thought we should rush out, that minute to find a replacement...before he had time to try to fix it himself. But then another impossible event happened...we were hit with a snow and ice storm that (in the south) rendered us helpless and homebound. The roads were bad enough that even I wouldn't tempt fate to go chair shopping.

So as we bicker back and forth about fixing or buying new, I realize my time is running out. Desperate times call for desperate measures. So we are heading out tonight, taking our chances that what has melted won't refreeze to buy a chair.

My mom has said she will send a sympathy card!

Now maybe something in paisley would be nice.

1 comment: